Thursday, September 18, 2008

Late news...Denmark and Sweden

I spent forever after we got home trying to put a fancy slideshow of pictures from our trip on this site, but I guess I'm not tech savvy enough or our computer is getting too old, so I never pulled it off and just gave up.

In September Doug found out that he was assigned to fly a trip to Denmark and Ireland and would be gone for almost two weeks. Once he arrived in Copenhagen he would have no job responsibilities and would just be hanging out by himself. He found this out about 5 days before he was scheduled to leave and in a very last minute decision I decided to use the money I saved from some extra work to buy myself a plane ticket and meet him there. Because his hotel and meals and everything were paid for by the company, my airfare was the only real expense. I used all my personal days for the year and was able to spend about 5 days with him and two days flying there and back. It was crazy, but totally worth it.

Seeing as we were so close, I decided that we had to make a trek to Sweden just so I could say I'd been there. We took a ferry and spent an enjoyable afternoon in the "motherland."

I'll try to post some pictures below.


Me with a statue of Hans Christian Anderson


Me in the Nyhaven district of Copenhagen


One of the many castles we visited -- this was the most grand and what I had imagined a castle to be.


Me in Sweden. I tried to find a flag or something that would make it look like I had really been in Sweden, but no such luck.

Hopefully, I'll be able to share more pictures and stories in person soon. We've been trying to work something out with Doug's family to come up and meet Rachel, but so far we haven't been able to coordinate things.

We're still working on the house during just about every spare moment. It's fairly live-able now, but the addition still isn't done. Doug has the rough in for the plumbing and electrical just about done and we're hoping to get everything inspected and dry walled soon. Ken and Margie are joining us for Thanksgiving (along with my friend's family from England) so the pressure is on to have as much done as possible.

I'll try not to disappear again for so long.
Love to everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather its Claudia. I saw the update on Kevens computer and thought I would be very fancy and say hey. We are up in North Bay shutting down the house. I saw Rachal Marin get baptized this morning. Shes so cute! and didn't fuss at all. I still don't have your address so I hope you are getting my snail mail I trust they forward it from the old address. I think it is time to come home for a visit. Are you going to do the post Christmas party? I am not sure when it is yet. got to go love claud.