Friday, March 14, 2008

Spring Break

I've just returned from a spring break adventure in New York City. I'll try to upload some pictures soon. We were on an extreme budget due to our house project, but a combination of really cheap flights and using Doug's hotel points made it possible.

One of the highlights was going to a taping of the David Letterman Show. I thought about my dad the whole time because he loved that show! We were in the fifth row and Doug hoped the entire time that he would be summonsed out of the audience and on to stage for some reason. Jim Carrey was one of the guests and Doug was just certain that someone would notice how much he looks like Jim Carrey (ha!) and invite him to be a part of the show.

We also spent a lot of time in museums and walking around different neighborhoods. We went to an amazing museum called The Lower East Side Tenement Museum which is a building that was condemned in the 1930s and was virtually untouched since then so the creators of the museum have preserved it and learned the stories of different families that lived there that they've recreated with pictures, furnishings etc. It really gives you an idea of the life of immigrants arriving at Ellis Island and then going into the city to follow their American dreams. I've read so many books that take place during this time period that it was amazing to see what it would have really been like. Doug is such a good sport. I know that he definitely feels like he's vacationing with a teacher sometimes, but he was excited because he could connect it to the movie Gangs of New York. He was also a good sport when I decided I needed to buy some books at The Strand (a bookstore near NYU that has 18 miles of books!) and even carried them in his backpack.

I have a couple days of spring break left and we're off to Ikea to buy a sink and cabinets for the upstairs bathroom in our new house. Hopefully, this will move things along so that we can at least move into the upstairs of the house soon.

Please keep me updated regarding the service for Sharon and Mark. Amy called me this week to ask me when it would be because she's coming to Wisconsin to be in a wedding in April and wondered if the dates may coincide. I told her I would let her know as soon as I knew.

Love you!

No comments: